Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Migraine is a pain in the neck....


For those of you that suffer from migraines this one is for you. For those of you that think you suffer from migraines and more likely don't this one is for you. For those of you that think you understand what a person suffering migraines feels like this one is for you.

This is not an ART blog...not a blog to make anyone feel bad or inadequate in any way when it comes to migraines but to help you. For those of you out there there that suffer from migraines or have a family member or close friend or co worker that suffer...SUFFER...SUFFER...

Migraines are NOT headaches!!!!!!!!!!! and those of you that suffer from migraines will nod right now knowing what I mean. A headache can be really bad while a migraine will put you on your knees begging for relief. A migraine can start in many different ways...some of you sufferers knows what triggers them (I don't), some of you have auras, some of you have strange food cravings (I do) and feel completely exhausted the day before a major attack (I do). The one thing we all have in common is the GUILT! The feeling you have when you can't go to work, can't open your eyes or talk. You then can NOT be a Mother, which includes using your eye sight and talking. After a few years of this your family begin to catch on and begin to worry about the next attack. I know my family are all so supportive helping with the kids and chores. At work they know as well and always wish me a feel better soon when I call in sick. This is when the GUILT comes in.... when your kids look at your really close knowing another attack is close by and you are trying your best to hide it....so good you might fool yourself. Those times when you are on vacation or have a fun event coming up and everyone worries....will Mom get a migraine?

I am the master of trying to hide the attacks but all it does is making me wait too long before I take my medication (because I know it will knock me out) and that in turn will make the migraine last longer and the medication less effective. I don't want pity and I don't want to ruin the day for everyone around me...I don't want to suffer from MIGRAINES...

I am a migraine sufferer and have to face the facts... I will do better this year....read up on the latest research, try new herbal remedies, NOT eat chocolate (or less), try my very best to NOT start the anti seizure meds the doctor prescribed last...and be HAPPY and celebrate when the migraine does NOT strike ones a week.

Remember that a MIGRAINE is NOT a headache...you can't take some aspirin and it goes away or go to the gym and sweat it out. Please be patient with us who suffer....let us explain that we are sick and tired or ruining our loved ones day or calling in sick worried that you will not understand....understand that you are not home from work because you have a lousy headache.

I say a prayer to all of you who suffer and hopes that your next attack will not be so bad. Make sure you see your doctor often since research is done all the time and new "ideas" for you how to make life a little bit easier.

I feel better after a day in bed medicated to the brink of unconsciousness, called in sick at work and my in laws helping with getting my youngest to school...picking her up and my 18 yr old fixing dinner... I am trying NOT to feel guilty... trying really hard but I know I now have to call the in laws to say thank you, go to work tomorrow and explain to all the kids and co workers why I was not at work yesterday and try to avoid the worried look on my kids faces when they ask if I am alright. Just another day in a migraine sufferers life.

2 comments:

MJ said...

Hey Jeanette, glad that you found your way to my blog. I'm always happy to connect with others out there like me.

If you haven't found it yet, the number one best resource for headaches and Migraines is here: http://www.healthcentral.com/migraine On that website, you'll find the most accurate and up-to-date information, all collected in one place. There's also a wonderful forum there, where you can connect with other Migraineurs, ask questions and find support. I'm not lying when I tell you that forum is one of my biggest sources of support. http://forums.healthcentral.com/discussion/migraine/forums/a/cfrm/f/6421031

I look forward to getting to know you, and wish you the best of luck in this Migraine journey.

Be well,
MJ

Jeanette Carlstrom said...

MJ!!! thanks for your comment. I will look into the website, can't wait. Feels good to know I am not the only one suffering....again thanks and hope to "talk" again soon.