Monday, January 19, 2009

Martin Luther King Day...NO WORK!!!


Today is Martin Luther King Day and the last day of my 4 day weekend. Tomorrow is loaded with 3 art classes....2nd grade! We are working on quilts and patterns. I am lucky enough this is in 2nd grade curriculum and they study quilts in class right now. The picture above is from a huge wall mural mosaic that I found at the San Fransisco airport Saturday night when we picked up the newly weds at the airport :) It is a huge mural made by many artists and thousands of little mosaic pieces creating these wonderful quilt like patterns....my students will see the pictures tomorrow. In class we work with oil pastels and large white card stock (will take pictures tomorrow) and the kids will draw straight lines with sharpies and then pretend "stitch" the shapes together....in the end (it will take them the full hour) they turn out so colorful. I encourage the kids to blend and mix colors...rub with their fingers and make up patterns....they love it.
Other than that...I did make some ART....The girl with the curly hair is my very good friend that had her Birthday party yesterday and needed to know how wonderfully fabulous she is....so I made her a painting. The rest of today is everything but exciting....I HAVE to go to the grocery store and get ready for the week. Good thing it is short.

No comments: